Device 6 Review


The smartest game in the room.

I was lying in my bed, iPad in hand, surrounded on all sides by scraps of paper containing crudely scribbled notes. For the past hour, I'd been stuck on a particularly tricky puzzle that appears early on in Device 6, a strange and wonderful interactive novel from Simogo, the Swedish developer behind Year Walk. I've been guiding my character back and forth through this small chunk of an island, paying attention to every detail in the engaging prose and imagery, trying to pluck the one kernel of information I need in order to solve a combination lock at the end of the area. Suddenly, like a bolt of lightning that immediately precedes most revelations, the solution hit me: I rummaged through my notes and realized that I had solved the puzzle about half an hour ago, but didn't even know it.
My journey of solving this puzzle taught me some important things. First and foremost, I was completely in love with the story and presentation of Device 6. You begin your adventure as Anna, an amnesiac who wakes up on an island brimming with a '60s Bond-esque aesthetics, atmospheric jazz score, and a heaping dose of J.J. Abrams-style mysteries. Unraveling the truth behind Anna, the island, and the strange puzzles that populate it provides some of the most mentally rewarding moments of any game I've played this year.
All of this unfolds in text, still images, and occasional videos, but it’s done in a creative way that’s representative of the path Anna takes as she navigates the physical
space of the island. Swiping across the story is analogous with guiding Anna across the mysterious expanse. When text scrolls to the right, Anna is heading east; when the words are presented in the form of downward steps, she's descending a staircase. When Anna encounters a mirror, the text is displayed backwards, forcing you to hold your iPhone or iPad up to an actual mirror. It’s a technique akin to the way Mark Z. Danielewski used typography to create a sense of unease in his novel House of Leaves, and it creates a sense of place and movement unlike any other text adventure I’ve ever played.
The prose itself is extremely well written, effortlessly hopping between humor and horror, all the while maintaining its central air of mystery. The specific images and videos that accompany the text add to the narrative while simultaneously serving as a source of clues needed to solve Device 6's various puzzles, which are devilishly tough, but always fair. Each of the six chapters reach a point where Anna hits some sort of obstacle, and it then becomes up to us to retrace our steps and take careful note of everything that we've read, seen, and heard in order to pass. For instance, the end of one chapter had me jotting down notes as I listened to a series of cryptic espionage messages looping from the mouths of three stuffed bears, analyzing what each said in order to discover which one was telling the truth, and ultimately using that information to solve a combination lock which peeled back yet another layer of the fantastic story. The rewarding information became even more powerful because of what I had accomplished to earn it.
No matter how long a specific challenge may have taken me to solve, I never felt like I was being treated unfairly. Device 6 lays down its internal logic and core set of rules right from the starts, and it's then up to us to pay attention to its context clues, which are hidden (sometimes in plain sight) within text, imagery, sounds, and geography. Few puzzle games have ever married these types of clues in such a fantastic union. But if you do happen to get stuck, check out our incredible Wiki for tips on how to solve a particular predicament.
My playthrough ran over the course of six nights, tackling a single chapter in each session. These ranged from a breezy 15-minute run where a puzzle clicked immediately, to the nearly two-hour odyssey of scribbled notes, crudely drawn maps, and an ultimate sense of great satisfaction. Throughout my five hours or so with Device 6, I had to uncover lock combinations, decode Cold War-era messages, and pay attention to each and every adjective in the story in order to make my way through its devilishly challenging puzzles. Perhaps best of all, the end of Device 6's journey culminates with one of the most satisfying payoffs I've ever experienced in a video game. Seriously, the final chapter really ties the room together.
Device 6 is fantastic regardless of which iOS device you decide to play it on, despite the experiences being slightly different. An iPhone's smaller size makes the necessity of constantly twisting and turning your physical device a breeze, where the larger real estate of an iPad makes the gorgeous, Wes Anderson-style typography pop even more. And though the solutions to the puzzles remain static on a second playthrough and lose those fantastic "aha!" moments, I gladly took another trip through Device 6 for the same reason I annually replay Portal. Going back through those worlds allow me to gain newfound insight into the story and characters in the same way that rereading a favorite book sheds a new light on it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Microsoft releases Hub Keyboard for Android

Galaxy A9 Pro international variant is now Bluetooth certified

iPhone SE teardown shows hardware ranging from iPhone 5 to 6s

12.2-inch version of the Lenovo Yoga Book with Android shows up at Amazon priced at just $299.99

HTC One (M8) for Windows now available on Amazon for $50